Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More of What I Learned

As I brainstorm, these things keep popping up in my head. I hope they are helpful to someone out there:

1. If you have a fertility issue, dont stay with an OB/Gyn. They dont know jack about fertility. Automatically putting a woman on Clomid for more than 3 months can be harmful. Get to a reproductive endocrinologist. ASAP.

2. Speaking of doctors, they are not Gods.  They are only human. Just because they tell you that you are done doesn't mean you are.  Get a second or third opinion. We talk with multiple car dealers when buying a new SUV. Why are we scared to look for doctors the same way? If they get angry about you getting a second opinion, it reinforces the fact that you need to get away. I was scared to second guess my doctors until I realized this. (Of course, I'm part of the second most egotistical profession where everyone thinks they are Gods so I know these types- ha!)

3. Educate yourself. I learned everything I could about my diagnosis. If I had not done this, I would have blindly followed Dr. Two's suggestion on the laparoscopy and would be in a WORSE position. A simple search of Google turned up about 15 studies stating how bad this surgery was for someone like me.

4. Isolation doesn't help. Everyone and their sister got pregnant in the 2 years we waited. Literally. I've got a ton of nephews and nieces.  Baby showers, kid's birthdays, holidays, etc were rough.  Sitting there and talking about babies for 2 hours while in your mind you imagine never being able to relate is hard. But surrounding yourself with people you love helps to remind you what is important.  If we would have slunk away and disappeared, I would have been overwhelmed by negativity.

5. Don't ask a single girl when she's going to find a boyfriend. Don't ask a coupled girl when she's going to get engaged. Don't ask a married couple when they are going to have kids. Don't ask someone with kids when they are going to have their 2nd, 3rd, 4th... (unless it's the Duggars).  These questions are very sensitive for a lot of people, and believe me, I was insensitive in the past.

And I have to add this picture of Hercules. He's winning the belly war

No comments:

Post a Comment