If you have a chance, there is a very interesting show called "Our America" with Lisa Ling on the OWN network. I usually cannot stand Oprah and her arrogance, but I have to admit, she has some entertaining television. Lisa Ling profiles different ways of life in America. This particular episode was about Christian faith healers. Lisa Ling focuses on two people- a man who has not been able to walk in years and a woman with cancer. For some reason, it really struck a cord.
I should initially say that I have no doubt God has the power to miraculously heal us. I should also admit that this church is waaaay far from my preferred worship style. I am a formal, liturgical, English cathedral type of person. My problem with the pastor portrayed in this show is that he puts so much emphasis on what WE can do. He essentially says that if we have enough faith, we will be healed. If sick people come into his church with any doubt, they won't be healed. He insists that it is all in our power.
That is so opposite of what God is. We won't ever be sin-free. We can never meet him where he wants us too. What happens when these people aren't healed? I'm sure they are convinced that it was their own doubt that doomed them. However, I don't know of anyone that doesn't doubt. Faith is easy without doubt. If faith was a requirement for healing, I'm sure we all know so many people who, based on their outward faith and lack of doubt, "deserved" healing for themselves, a child, a friend, or a parent. We all know heartbreaking stories of sickness and death. If we followed the philosophy of this pastor, we could look around at people who need healing and judge their level of doubt. This type of thinking leads us to think that humans are in charge depending on the level of our faith. But we aren't in charge.
God decided to give Nate and I the gift of children. Was my body suddenly "healed" because of my faith back in August? No way. If you want a doubt producing experience, go through IVF. I don't know why I got pregnant and others I know have not. It's not fair. Why are some really awful people healed from cancer while little children die from it? I don't know the answers, but I do know that relying on ourselves is not an encouraging answer.
Take a look at this clip. You can watch the full episode online:
No comments:
Post a Comment