Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh Townes...

We've had a crazy few days that makes me question why I ever wavered on putting the kids in school for 2 days a week! And the blame comes down to one little monstrosity of a boy...


On Sunday, we finally got the kids to church after 5 weeks out with sickness. It is always a zoo so I take 2 in with the twin stroller then Nate brings in the other. Townes was in the stroller and as soon as I opened up the door, he immediately begins to scream bloody murder in front of at least 40 people (this happens every Sunday) and then everyone crowds around to look at the "twins." This freaks him even more and he continues to scream. Then I start getting the looks from nursery personnel once they remember I have 3 and one of them is going ballistic already. I have to tape their names to their back so as I am doing this, this couple blatantly cuts in front of me in the line to get in the room. I take a deep breath, then the main lady we have bumped heads with literally pushes me aside at one point.  Nate came in and we get them all in the room, but Townes will not stop screaming bloody murder. We finally decided to just take him into church. We take him and he lasts about 5 minutes before making loud raspberries and babbling about dada.  He took him back to the nursery where the volunteers promise that it's ok that he is freaking out. We make it to the end of service thankfully.

On Monday, I spend 30 minutes getting the kids up, fed, dressed, and into the car to go to the YMCA. I yank out the huge quad stroller and put them in it meanwhile I misplace my keys. Took me 10 minutes to finally find them in the trunk. (This drives me bonkers because I NEVER used to lose anything)  I rolled them in and guess what- Townes begins to scream bloody murder. This time it's during senior citizen time and at the gym where his screams echo everywhere. I've got a million people looking at me with pity so I quickly rolled them into the nursery.  Townes will not stop screaming again so I run to work out hoping he settles down. Nope. They come get me after 10 minutes and ask if there's anything we can do. I know the only thing that calms him down now is dad holding him and they ain't happening as daddy is working. I get off the elliptical and get them to begin the process of going home.  Some moron parks about a foot to the right of the Expedition. Really easy to get babies into their seats when this happens.  Now getting the quad stroller folded and into the car is a debacle because it is 60 lbs and the back of the car is so high.  You have to twist the right side and pull the left while folding it. This is not easy to do by yourself. And as I am frazzled already, I'm at the breaking point. I let out a litany of expletives as I try three times to do this, finally get it, then try twice to get it in the back of the car.  Long story short, there is some guy watching the parking lot security camera laughing his butt off I'm sure.

Times like this make it so hard for me to get the kids out. It gives me a complex understandably. It even bugs Nate which shows me I'm not being ridiculous. Additionally, I really worry about Townes. He had HORRIBLE colic and I am still using calming techniques with him as a 13 month old. I spoke with his teachers and the director at school who helped me see that he has a very strong and sensitive temperament. These women have worked with thousands of kids so I trust when they tell me he is normal, but a little "rotten." I am forever grateful that he has such a trusting relationship with this teacher because every day would be a battle for school.  And we are paying so much money for these 2 days. The director told me DO NOT look on the internet because it will scare me to death, but they will work on sensory type things with him. They do not do the developmental talk until around 2 years, but she said they don't see anything alarming. He is social and laughs like crazy, plays with his sisters, and can self soothe. 

On a side note (or maybe related note), he failed his second hearing test about a month ago. It is either collapsed ear canals or some fluid in his ears that he was born with. The audiologist said that he hears like he is underwater. Nate sells to ENTs so is able to get some opinions beforehand. Unfortunately they said his sensitivity is most likely due to temperament and not ear problems. Boo for no quick fix there! He will probably need ear tubes to drain the fluid. He has never had an infection which is pretty miraculous considering. I am curious to see how he acts if the tubes are successful in fixing the problem.

This boy is challenging but I am always thankful he is here with me and doesn't have any issues that he won't outgrow. He won't be 5 and screaming bloody murder in a stroller. :) He'll be an entertaining kid growing up I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment