Like millions of others, this time of the year is always my favorite. I love Christmas music, decorating, getting together with family, finding that perfect gift for someone, and the general relaxation surrounding the holidays. As as a kid, we always drove to Oklahoma to see both sets of grandparents and other extended family. Unlike Nate's family, we can actually all fit in a dining room! The drive to Oklahoma seemed like eternity although it was only 8 hours. We drove in 70 degree weather and ice storms. I remember every town on I-40 from West Memphis, Arkansas to Bartlesville, Oklahoma- Brinkley, Forrest City, Little Rock, Fort Smith, Owasso, and on. I remember listening to this ridiculously cheesy tape my mom got from an OB in Memphis while she was working as a nurse called "The Ultrasounds of Christmas" a thousand times. It featured some of the worst Christmas songs included Elvis' "Blue Christmas," Bruce Springsteen's overly intense version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," and some R & B horror of "Little Drummer Boy." The Beach Boys and Amy Grant's Christmas tapes were another constant companion. We have many funny stories from those drives. A personal favorite is watching a rabid raccoon have a grand mal seizure and drop about 30 feet off of a tree branch onto the pavement while eating at Schlotzkeys in Little Rock. I know- sounds really sad, but I still laugh so hard I cry when I think of that story.
We would spend Christmas Eve decorating sugar cookies. We would go to church for a communion service then enjoy a dinner and opening presents from family members. I always listened for Santa that night not knowing my parents were stuffing stockings downstairs! Christmas day we would travel to Tulsa to see my dad's parents and my great grandmother Nana, aunt Susan and Uncles Al and Tom. Mimi cooked an excellent meal and we would enjoy opening even more presents and laughing at jokes that were way over my head at 8 years old. My grandfather made special Bloody Marys from Clomato juice. I mistakenly took a juiced up one and proceeded to spit it all over the table when I tasted the Vodka! I think that started my aversion to anything vodka related.
I had to run to Target the other night to grab several huge cans of their formula. I was strolling down the aisles and saw the Christmas music display where you can click on CD's to hear samples. I clicked on a CD and "Blue Christmas" by Elvis came on. I burst into tears right on the spot and I'm sure weirded out a few other customers. Yes, I was a bit stressed out and having hormonal issues, but hadn't really thought of how lucky I am for these memories. It is very hard for me to accept that I will not have times like this with my Grammee, Grandaddy or Ty as they have passed in the last few years. I only have Mimi left and I sincerely hope she sticks around for a long time.
My thoughts last year were of needing to remember blessings and not to get caught up in the craziness and commercialism of the season. I've been a bit of a Scrooge this year as the kids are apparently going to be sick from October to March. I had to pick Townes up for a fever and Natalie for a probable ear infection last Thursday and was so frigging angry that my day off was interrupted. But then was brought back to earth thinking that if the most I have to deal with is multiple ear infections, praise God. There are many triplet families out there dealing with severe developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy, or even with losses of their preemies. My kids can be pretty darn unpleasant sometimes, but they are such blessings.
I pray that everyone who reads this finds peace instead of heartache this holiday. I'll leave you with my favorite version of "Silent Night" by Sinead O'Connor
No comments:
Post a Comment