Sunday, November 7, 2010

Excuse Moi??

You wouldnt believe what some people say to you when you're expecting triplets. A few blogs ago, I discussed my favorite. It's funny how common courtesy just flies out of the room. Granted I am much more sensitive than I used to be about knowing not to ask a woman when she is going to start dating someone, get married, or have children. You certainly dont ask a woman if she's pregnant unless it is absolutely obvious. Even then you have to be sensitive to think that some women may have just had something awful happen, like a miscarriage. Maybe I am too sensitive about these things.

Nate and I are open about how we got where we are. But you have to remember, some couples aren't. I cannot tell you how many people I've met maybe once or even complete strangers that asked us if we used IVF within the first 2 minutes of a conversation. This past week I was in three separate meetings with 4 or 5 male attorneys and these types of questions came up. With my cheeks burning, I respond with "we had some help." I'm already getting about zero respect because I am young and female.  Let's add in my infertility too! I was also in a consignment store and the obviously gay male cashier asked me about IVF then proceeded to tell me how he and his wife had twins. I had some questions for him!

I guess my main point is to be careful in what you ask expecting moms and dads, because even as open as we are, it gets old. I can't imagine saying to a mother of one "tell me about the night your son/daughter was conceived!! I want details!" Nope- totally inappropriate and disturbing.  Some women respond with "why do you want to know?" or "that's a very personal question,"  but my Southern female desire to be polite and accommodating would never let me do that.

We hope we can help someone struggling with the same thing by being honest and that's the main reason we are. (Btw- I have an infertility sixth sense now. I see it in their eyes while they are being courteous in asking me how I am feeling. Even the husband) Just remember that it is really awkward to be asked time and time again about the conception of your children. It does not suddenly become ok to talk about these things because I have three babies! BUT if you are reading this and need advice, please email or call me and we can talk more details.

Ok... off of my soapbox. :) We are starting to realize how little time we have if I will be on bed rest by January. Lots to do!! Sell my car, buy a new one, decorate, find places to put everything, register for baby shower, etc etc etc. I'll have to trust Nate to take care of many of these details.  I trust Nate for a lot of things, but choosing baby bedding and decorating a nursery are not his forte. Plus I'm the car person and have to be involved in that!  Just praying I don't have to do hospital bed rest.

And I think we will start posting pictures of me without the belly. It's getting weird looking and I'm only a third of the way through with growing!

2 comments:

  1. speak it gurrlll. you are so right? people need to purchase a sensitivity chip...great post! needs to be said! llj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know most people dont mean to be rude, but dang, boundaries!! :)

    ReplyDelete