Thursday, January 24, 2013

I've Come a Long Way Baby!! (Updated)

Last week was interesting. Nate was gone from Tuesday to Friday for a company meeting in Phoenix, AZ. It started with poor Caroline and her flu. We were also dealing with a heating unit that has been malfunctioning so our house was around 60 degrees at night. I felt bad for the kiddos but am not comfortable leaving a space heater in their room. They had their fleece PJ's and lots of blankets. Thank goodness that was fixed on Monday because my week would continue to go downhill.

Caroline continued to be sick, but not "sleepy" sick. She was unhappy, whiny, wouldn't eat anything sick. She needed lots of attention and with 2 other babies in the house, it is hard to go around. I've always felt guilty about having triplets during moments like this because you cannot give them the attention they need. :( Natalie is usually very helpful and will go fetch things for me. She will go get Caroline's cow and blanket or Townes' moose and pacifier and deliver them to her brother and sister when they are crying. Very sweet.

BUT she has the "little curl" on her forehead so can also act like a diva. She chose the diva act most of last week by stealing Caroline's cow and playing keep away with it or hitting/pushing her brother. Additionally, she was standing up on tables, knocking stuff off, and saying "no" a trillion more times than usual. I know all she needed was some attention, but Caroline would be hysterically crying in the meantime and my discipline wasn't cutting it. Townes was being a little angel and playing with his semi trucks independently. Then the diva would hit again by trying to steal whatever he was playing with. She would steal his beloved moose and take off down the hallway. Poor guy couldn't catch a break either. By dinnertime, this converges into the witching hour chaos. I had help thankfully or I would have lost it by Friday.

I have had to have the car battery jumped a few times in the past months. I could explain away the last 2 because the back gate was left open after Costco trips. Of course, I wouldn't figure out the battery was dead until I spent the 10 minutes getting the kids IN the car. I had to corral my neighbor to jump it on Wednesday.  Despite being an incredibly intelligent retired physician, he could not figure out how to pop his son's hood. I had to figure out if that tells you anything!! The kids enjoyed the show from the backseat. (Graham crackers are a lifesaver)  Thursday night, it was REALLY slow in starting but I literally didnt have a chance to go to Sears to have it checked out because of the wretched flu.

Friday morning, I decided to be smart and checked the ignition BEFORE putting the kids in. It. wouldn't. start. Grrrrr... Caroline and Townes were well enough to go to school. I actually thought Natalie got the sick that morning because she was acting weird and being quiet. I called my mom and she sent my dad out to help me. The car wouldn't jump at all so I needed a new battery. Nate was will in a meeting so I had to  text him pictures of tools we needed! What a mess. My poor dad was elbow deep in grease.

Natalie was running around like a monster after an hour so I was bound and determined to have my first Allison time since the Wednesday before. I finally decided to take the kids one by one to school in my dad's car. I'm sure the teachers on the playground were wondering what the heck this chick was doing coming back and forth in this sporty Mercedes sedan and not a huge tank. We went to Sam's for a new battery and finally got the car up and running. It sounds completely different when you start it so I'm thinking there was a problem for awhile. Thank you, thank you dad!

Last year I would have been in tears everyday. I'm proud to say I've acquired some "skillz" in the parenting department. A little more experience and patience. Maybe a realization that life will move on. And definitely an ability to laugh at myself.

And SO SO glad an impending ice storm decided to stay rain!! I'm absolutely cool that my kids arent going to see snow this year.

Here are some highlights of the week from each child:
  • Caroline's nose started bleeding during a nap. Her poor cow looked like it had been at the slaughter house because she had rubbed her face all over it. I couldn't get it way to wash until she went to school so it was bloodied all week. Lovely
  • Natalie loves to steal wipes and use them to wash her face. Great right?! Except when they are bleach wipes for the kitchen. Nuff said. Thankfully I was able to wrestle it away quickly.
  • Townes finagled himself onto the kitchen table and was standing proudly with his pita chip find. I've found the best response when coming back to find these situations is to act like nothing is happening!
Sometime during the week, Natalie was looking at herself on my Iphone camera (naturally) and Townes decided to steal it. I didn't realize the phone was still recording until looking later. This is pretty funny. It was still set where the holder could see themselves in the phone!



No comments:

Post a Comment