I've been hearing around Momville that there's this strain of flu that wasn't part of this year's flu shot. Not cool so I've been hoping it was an urban myth.
I've had the flu twice. Once in high school and once in law school. In high school, I had to miss the annual trip to Washington, DC for the "Right to Life" march. I stayed home half dead while my mom nursed me to health. In law school, I got it on a weekend home in Nashville. My skin was on fire and couldn't even stand the seatbelt against my chest. I drove back to Birmingham and went to my first class and almost passed out. I went to the health center and was shot up with cortisone for my throat and other sundry meds. I laid on the couch for a week and ate tons of HagenDaas PB and chocolate ice cream. (and lost 10 pounds so that kind of rocked) Nate took Tamiflu and only had to suffer 2 days. Ever since my last bout in 2005, I've always gotten the shot. And if anyone has told you they "think" they had the flu, they are sorely mistaken. You KNOW when you've have the flu!
Unfortunately the urban myth is true. Poor Caroline has the flu. :( We started her on Tamiflu despite the potential for side effects because the dr considers her high risk. She slept for about 4 hours when we got home from the doctor. It's kind of a mystery because they've been sick off and on for several weeks with stomach bugs and random viruses. Nate was sick on Friday with some kind of a viral illness. She had a 103 fever that night also then was fine by Sunday enough to go to church. Who knows?! She always gets the brunt of sickness because she is the smallest. Who knew a few ounces could make such a difference. She is getting tons of love and getting to watch "Blues Clues."
It's pretty clear that the others will get it but I don't know how they will react. She is tons better today so I'm thinking it is mild. I have Tamiflu prescriptions for the whole family but I'd prefer not to pay the $75 per person copay if possible!

No comments:
Post a Comment