Wednesday, June 20, 2012

An Old Lady at a Cool Concert

I'm enjoying my time right now. The kids are napping and Nate let me sleep in until 9am. His mom spent the night and took care of the kids until he woke up. So glad we went! It was a great concert.

We bought our tickets with one of Nate's old coworkers from his pharma days. His buddy is a great country guy from nowhere, Kentucky who loves the ladies. We knew we were in for some fun. We parked and walked through the Renaissance hotel to get to Broadway. Of course we see my old boss in the bar! I was afraid of this as my old law firm is on the 30th floor of the hotel and he was ALWAYS there right at 5:30 pm. I made Nate walk in front of me as there was no way for him not to see me. Pretty awkward and 4th grade but that's not a convo I wanted to have. ;)  We got down to Broadway and moved through the sea of people. We tried Tootsie's and a few other honky tonk joints, but I can't handle smoking inside anymore. This is the first clue I'm not in my 20s anymore! And isnt it funny how fast that happened? Smoking annoys me so much now while I used to be at bars that had smoke clouds on the ceiling in Knoxville.

We settle at Rippy's and wait for buddy and trophy girlfriend to arrive. Buddy arrives as expected with gorgeous, slender blonde. She finally fesses up that she's 22. Nate and I about die. We laugh as we realize we are 10 years older and far from our cool days. She is a sweet girl and as we talk about concerts, she looks at me and asks "ummm what does U2 sing?"  I want to slap her across the face- hilarious. That's it. We are old. She loves her country so we regale her with stories of celebs in Nashville and who lives where. She mentions that her dad got arrested the other night for beating some guy up after he called her mom a "V.D. carrying ho." There is a life beyond triplets I guess.

We get into the concert and it's really amazing. The Wall is a weird concept but with amazing music. I don't understand it but I don't think I'm supposed to unless joints are passed around. These people around were serious. Like REALLY serious nerds who memorized every German word in the darn album. Nate even got shushed at one point for talking. We're at a concert guys, let's calm down. And I definitely smelled some serious pot from down below.

Roger Waters is amazingly talented but has to be one of the farthest removed celebs from the real world ever. I admit he was fair. He slammed Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Shell Oil (why not BP?), McDonalds (?), Mercedes (?), communism, and capitalism. He showed clips of Obama and Bush. However, he did have W next to Mao and Stalin. Don't see that connection buddy. And of course the capitalism reference is classic. Who does he believe sold all of his records? T shirts (for $50 in the lobby)? What about BMI and ASCAP who collects his royalties? What gave him his wealth?

Once we removed the politics, we enjoyed the show. It was visually stunning and awesome to hear some of my favorite songs.
 This guy LOVED showing his gut off at the bar. We were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe.

 A night out! Yay!

*****************************
Also, Townes is doing great! We had time alone yesterday while he stayed home from school. He is finally fever free. He was back tackling Hercules and driving his walker all over the house by lunchtime. Many people have asked if his seizure had anything to do with the surgery. It did not. He contracted a virus a day afterwards which caused a high, spiking fever. Thank goodness we have 2 sick sisters to compare him to. Otherwise they might have possibly suspected the anesthesia, but it was also 48 hours past surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment