Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Nursery Police

Nate and I have had a hard week. I won't go into it but let's say both of our tempers have been tested. And to cap it off, we were "lectured" about expecting the nursery workers to feed our kids today. (Has anyone seen David Spade as the receptionist on SNL?? This was our conversation.)  Nate was standing there with Natalie and Townes in his arms (40 pounds) while trying to get out of the door. This lady stops us and asks us if we minded if we fed our kids before nursery. Why yes - it is very easy. At home, we have 3 boppies, 3 bottle props, 3 bibs, and 3 burp cloths. It is very easy to bring all of that to church and feed our kids in the hallway when there are 2 of us. Sure thing. Not to mention the fact that we already wake them early from their naps and dress them in uncomfortable, nice clothes. We are very strictly scheduled because we have to be. My kids go nuts otherwise. Try having 3 kids on differing nap and feeding schedules. Lots of fun. Despite the effort, we go to church because it is important to us. This really left a bad taste in my mouth. For the first few months, the nursery was my refuge because I knew I could leave them there while we took in an hour and half service. We both left that conversation steaming mad. Why doesn't she ask the mom of a singleton to feed her kid before church? We have asked them to feed our kids exactly twice ever.

Do these people know how hard it is for us to get there on time? Yes, Nate and I make it because we are organized.  But, it is hard. Really hard. Most people we know there are amazed we even make it any Sunday. We went to church when Townes had colic. Everything in me yells "stay at home!!!" because it is easier. It takes so much freaking effort to do anything and we are at our whits end. We've had 3 weeks of sickness and are just tired. This lady is lucky neither of us wanted to make a scene. We do plan on following up because we feel unwelcome at this point. I love our church, but it is unacceptable to single us out like this. 

I want to stage a "Freaky Friday" scenario and have people switch with me and see how they handle triplets. I guess I heard and saw so much complaining over the past few weeks that I am simply tired of it. I don't think I am having a "pity me" party. I think this is a result of built-up anger and envy of others with freedom. I know I need to work on this and am trying to. Anger and envy are no better than being overly self indulgent.

We were lucky to have 2 date nights this week thanks to our parents. One for my birthday and one last night to see my alma mater play Nate's school in basketball and go to dinner. If we hadn't had those, the nursery lady probably would have gotten it in front of a 100 people! I could have even brought out the lawyer in me and yell discrimination. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment