Sunday, November 13, 2011

First Week of School

The babies did really well at school last week. I was so happy because, as always, I was imagining the worst case scenario- Townes or Natalie cries for 7 hours straight and they call me to come get them ASAP!! Fortunately, after a few tears, they settled right in. We did a half day on Tuesday then a full day on Thursday. The teachers loved them and they looked great when we went to pick them up. Now mommy, on the other hand, was a bit sad. Who would have thought I would be so upset and guilty after dreaming about this opportunity for months?! I guess it means I do really love the little boogers. I felt a bit better after my 3.5 hour nap on Tuesday. Aaaahhh... I cant even describe the feeling. I heard phantom baby cries all morning. Then remembered I had the house all to myself. Thursday was much easier and the guilt and sadness faded away.

The school operates as a daycare so theoretically, we could leave them from 6:30 am to 6:00 pm. We will probably stick to more of an 8am to 5 pm schedule. The cost is more than Mother's Day Out, but worth it for the extra hours. This school is so awesome and they aren't going to demand I come pick up one of the kids for crying too much. They deal mostly with working parents and know it isn't an option for them!

I really think this was an excellent choice. Because it is so darn hard to get out anywhere, they don't get many opportunities to socialize with other babies beyond 2 hours in the church nursery. They are so sweet and play with each other constantly, but I know that being alone as a group can lead to problems socializing later on when it comes to kindergarten and beyond. I don't want them freaking out if we decide to separate them in their classes. They need to learn independence and I think this is a great first step.

Another glaringly obvious fact is that I am NOT a preschool teacher. That is on my list of my "Most Feared" Jobs in addition to being an accountant or corrections officer. Very different extremes I know. They are getting sung to and read books to all day long. They get to go on buggy rides and see the campus. I know the words AND lyrics to exactly 2 songs- "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." This despite having an all star mother who sang to me constantly as a child. I guess I was too busy dozing off to remember the lyrics. And plus, I now have a huge aversion to those songs due to singing them to Townes for 1.5 hours a night while shhhshing and bouncing him around to battle colic from ages 2 months to 6 months.

It was so hard to make the decision and I hope to get the most out of it for both the financial and time investment. I get to go to the GP, Dentist, and OB this month during my time off. Woo-hoo!

Soooo... we have another little Benedict Arnold. Caroline suddenly started saying "dada" on Tuesday!! My one holdout is Townes. "Mama" come out of his mouth first considering all the rocking I did with that boy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment