Wednesday, May 15, 2013

So we decided to go on a little beach vacay...

Nate and I had been so busy, our vacation really snuck up on us. I had been working on a pretty intense project that left me brain dead every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I even worked some Saturdays. Nate has been traveling here and there for work. I barely had time to run out and get my sunscreen, sundresses, and cute flip flops.

Coupled with that, Caroline got very sick the weekend before we left. Everyone had been seriously healthy for a LONG time so we were due for something. She had high fevers and felt pretty miserable. Poor thing has the worst immune system out of them all because we all know Natalie sucked some of her nutrients out in utero. ;) Our pediatrician gave her some antibiotics thankfully. We didn't want Nate's parents saddled with an ER visit because of a 105 degree temp or something similar.

When we finally got on the plane to Jacksonville, we felt relief! We're off to the sunny beach. Hurrah! Nope. It rained the entire. Freaking. Time.  With 15-20 mph winds. The first night we ate dinner and walked around pre storm. The next morning we woke up to crazy rain and thunder. No biggie, we can handle a day of storms and headed to the Ritz Carlton at Amelia Island and spent the whole day at the spa. It really was fabulous. Although we were staying at a B & B, we had a full day of privileges with treatments booked. It was definitely the nicest spa I had ever been to. We read in the couples relaxation room and swam in the spa pool for the 15 minutes it wasn't raining. I took a nap in the ladies relaxation room and definitely drooled all over the pillow. I booked a scalp and shoulder massage. I had to book a male masseuse or it wouldn't have worked out. It never really bothers me because I seriously doubt the Ritz Carlton hires sex offender masseuses.  He was actually a very interesting guy. I normally don't talk during massages, but we chatted the whole time about everything. He has a gun range on his property and rebuilds antique weapons. He also does wood working and hand carved a bear emerging from the woods on his front door.  (I should have asked for a picture of this one!)  We finished the day off with a dinner at their steakhouse.

That night I looked at the radar and saw nothing but rain, rain, rain swirling in a tropical storm like formation. It went all the way down the Atlantic side of Florida. Then I looked north and saw that Savannah, GA was somewhat out of this storm. Still cloudy and windy, but no rain. We changed our hotel reservations to the Hampton Inn historic district and headed north. We walked around for awhile and settled on a pub to eat dinner in. I had booked a ghost tour for 9pm. So when we went into the restaurant it wasn't raining, but when we left it was pouring with monsoon winds. Awesome, no umbrella, no coat, nothing! We walked from our hotel so needed something. We finally found an umbrella in Urban Outfitters (Nate's first visit- ha) and paid $20. I wanted to go to Leopold's ice cream so dragged him there while the dinky umbrella only covered half of me. I had my ice cream and we began the walk home in the pouring rain. I picked up a local LGBT newsletter for head coverage. We finally got to the front of the hotel when a 30 mph wind gust blew our $20 umbrella to shreds! The LGBT newsletter flew everywhere. By this point, I was laughing. Nate was not.

Our final morning gave us a little time to do a trolley tour of historic Savannah, eat a good lunch, and stop by the Amelia Island B & B where I left my kindle! I would love to go back to all these places. In the sun of course! Our flight back was uneventful and we got in town early enough to see the kids before bed.

After all was done and said, my perfect beach vacation didn't happen. But we did get to lounge around, eat some excellent food, and sleep all we wanted to. Lots of love to Nate's parents for the  babysitting service!

No comments:

Post a Comment